Ft. Lauderdale Waterfront Homes
Ft. Lauderdale is known as the “Venice of America” as well as the “Mega Yacht Capital of the World” and Ft. Lauderdale is a City of almost 200 Miles of Waterways. Waterfront Homes in Ft. Lauderdale offer dockage for Vessels of various types and sizes, including Mega Yachts, Sailboats, Speedboats, Cruisers, Waverunners, and others.
Waterfront properties available in Ft. Lauderdale are Intracoastal front, Canal front, Riverfront, and direct Oceanfront on the Beach.
The vast majority of Ft. Lauderdale’s Waterfront Homes are located on Ocean access Canals. Waterways are arranged such that Ocean Access Canals lead to the Intracoastal Waterway, which leads to the Atlantic Ocean. The New River leads to the Intracoastal Waterway, which leads to the Atlantic Ocean.
View listings of Ft. Lauderdale Waterfront Homes at the links below and click here for advanced search options to customize your property search.
Average Property Prices for Ft. Lauderdale Waterfront Homes are as follows:
- Oceanfront Homes: $3,000,000+
- Intracoastal Homes: $1,500,000+
- Canal front Ocean Access Homes: $600,000+
- Riverfront Homes: $1,200,000+
SIGNIFICANT differences among Ft. Lauderdale Waterfront Ocean Access Homes affect their prices and if you’re considering purchasing one, it’s absolutely essential to first familiarize yourself with the differences and prices in order to determine which Home will best fit your needs or IF there are Homes that fit your requirements.
A VERY, VERY IMPORTANT fact to understand when in the market for Ocean Access Waterfront Homes, is that Land Value is a SIGNIFICANT part of the price and many of the lowest priced Waterfront Homes are being sold at prices that are equal to, lower than, or not significantly higher than their land value alone. The lowest prices in Waterfront Communities simply get you into the Neighborhood; they don’t buy the largest or most beautiful Home. Additionally, the lowest priced Waterfront Homes are typically those located in areas that have Fixed Bridges with low clearance heights.
Important Waterfront Differences and Factors to Consider if you have a Vessel to Dock:
- Some Canal Front Homes are located in areas that have Fixed Bridges. For areas with Fixed Bridge access to the Intracoastal, you need to consider the height of your Vessel and the clearance height(s) of the Fixed Bridge(s) in order to determine which Homes are appropriate. If you have a Vessel that can’t clear the Fixed Bridge(s), Homes located in areas WITHOUT Fixed Bridges are the only ones that will be appropriate for you.
- Canal Widths and Depths vary significantly, so the size and Draft of your Vessel are factors to consider when searching for Homes.
- Some Intracoastal front Homes are located in Wake Zones, which are, of course, inappropriate for docking large Vessels, however, some Homes with Wake Zones have Lifts that are appropriate for Docking smaller Boats and/or other small Watercraft such as Jet Skis. Intracoastal Point Lot properties with Dockage on a protected side Canal are the most ideal choice for Intracoastal front Properties with Dockage for large Vessels.
- Waterfront Widths vary among Homes, so if you’re interested in Docking a Vessel, first verify that the Home’s Waterfront is wide enough to Dock your Vessel (required set-back Widths are important as well).
- Are the existing Dockage and Seawall sufficient to meet your needs OR can changes, updates, or additions be made in order to meet your needs?
- If you’re interested in a direct Oceanfront Home and also want to Dock your Vessel at your Home, Homes on Hillsboro Mile in Hillsboro Beach (20 minutes North of Ft. Lauderdale) offer the best of both worlds with direct Oceanfront Homes and an accompanying parcel of Intracoastal property across the street with Intracoastal Dockage for your Vessel.
Significant Factors that Affect Price include, but aren’t limited to:
- Age of the Home
- Size of the Home
- Architectural style of the Home
- Condition of the Home
- Features and finishes within the Home
- Pool, Garage, etc.
- The Waterfront Width of the Property
- Lot size (the average Lot size for Waterfront Homes in the area is 1/4 Acre)
- Wake zone vs. No Wake Zone
- The type and size of Dockage available
- The type of Waterfront (Canal, River, Intracoastal, Ocean)
- East vs. West location. Most of our Waterfront Ocean Access Communities are located East of I-95, but a few are located West. East locations are closer to the Intracoastal and Ocean. Because of their location advantage, the majority of Homes located East are priced higher. Lowest priced Homes located East typically sell VERY quickly.
- Fixed Bridges vs. No Fixed Bridges. Homes located in areas without Fixed Bridges have an obvious advantage and are priced higher.
- The Address. Certain Neighborhoods are more prestigious.
- Canal Width and Depth. Areas that have very wide and deep Canals have an obvious advantage for Vessels and are priced higher.
- Location, location, location! Although specifics of the actual Home have an impact on price in many cases, there are many cases where the Home itself takes a back seat to the Home’s location. Land value is significant in Waterfront Communities and there are Homes offered as “tear downs”, but are priced within a higher price range because of the Land value ONLY.
Because of so many significant differences between Homes and their location (even Homes on the same Street), determining price goes FAR beyond a simple calculation of comparison such as cost per Square Foot.
Where are Broward County’s Waterfront Ocean Access Homes located?
Waterfront Ocean Access Homes in Broward are located in the Cities of Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point, Deerfield Beach, Hillsboro Beach, Hollywood, Hallandale Beach, Sea Ranch Lakes, and Dania Beach.
Although a significant amount of Waterfront exists in Ft. Lauderdale and nearby Cities, the Geographic area of Broward County is very large and Waterfront Ocean Access Homes are not the majority of the available inventory of Homes for Sale.